Monday, March 9, 2009

And now back to your regular program!

I know, off to a bad start already, but I have good reasons! :) 1. Nothing really Brazil related was going on as we're still waiting for our visas and 2. I was crazy busy finishing my old job and getting ready to come to Brazil for a week and a half! 

I arrived on Saturday and have just been enjoying time with Bond over the weekend after a week apart! He has been staying at a business hotel in town near his office, so we went to a resort just outside of town for the weekend for a change of scenery. The pool alone was reason enough to go, as it had several cabanas you could use and as much pineapple juice a girl could ever want! I'm addicted to it and it tastes even better when they add mint! Yum! So I recovered from my 10 hour flight on Saturday, sleeping in the shade at the pool and then we went to a pizza party that was planned by the local expat group that night.

We had a great time and it was so wonderful to meet so many families. There were several Italians (I had no idea that outside of Italy, Brazil has the largest Italian population!) a Belgian couple, a French couple and 2 other American families and us. It was a lot of fun and everyone was so nice and genuinely helpful. I am hoping to "job shadow" a gal that volunteers at the American School here, so that will be fun and hopefully lead to a volunteer position for me, too! 

Then on Sunday, we hung out at the pool again and then drove around town, did some price comparing at a local grocery store and found my favorite ice cream place in town! When I was here in October, some of the ladies from the expat group had met me for lunch and they took me to this ice cream place afterwards. It's so great because, like several places in Brazil, it's like a buffet and then you pay by the weight. I'm not sure what the local name is, but we call them "kilo restaurants." Great for quick lunches, but even better for ice cream! They have all of these different waffle bowl and cone options and then you can serve yourself from a huge variety of ice cream and then every kind of topping imaginable! Heaven! After that, we checked into the business hotel near Bond's office and called it a night.

Then today, I met up with a Scottish girl here who is married to Brazilian. We have been emailing for a few months now, so it was great to finally meet her. She is super sweet and we talked for a few hours and will definitely be getting together again soon! Yay! A new friend! :)

So...now, just waiting for Bond to come "home" from work and grab some dinner. Wednesday-Friday, we're going house-hunting, so that should be post-worthy, but other than that...consider yourself updated in my "limboland" life! Hopefully the "adventure" part will kick in soon or else I fear this will be one boring blog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment