Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sign of the times

Never in my life did I think I'd get laid off...and actually be happy about it! I went in today to clean out my desk and handle loose ends and since no one knows yet that we're moving (!), everyone was surprised at how chipper I was! Next Wednesday will be my last official day in the office, but that's purely to have lunch with my boss at our favorite Mexican place! I'm hoping to join Bond in Brasil a few days early, too, so hopefully I will fly out that night and be able to enjoy some sunshine and warm weather for a few days before we go house-hunting.

As for the economy, we are doing our part to help get it going! We power shopped this weekend when we went to my mom's house to share our big news and we are now done with all of the big items for the baby. Since the movers are packing up our house in mid-April, everything has to be delivered ASAP so that it makes it here in time to get in the container. 

It's funny to see how people react to us moving to Brasil, but even more entertaining when we share we're having a (gasp!) baby down there! It will be different of course, but different is not bad (a favorite mantra!) and we figure that nature's pretty much going to take care of 99% of everything, so what is there to worry about?! (Ha! I say that now, but it was a long road to get to this place!) The best part was shopping for maternity clothes even though my pre-pregnancy clothes still fit! Gap Maternity has a fake bump that you can use to try things on and it was fun to surprise Bond with a sneak preview, until he asked, "Ohmygosh! Is that how big you're going to get?!" Sadly, the fake bump is only an estimate for how big most women are at 6-7 months. Nice.


2 comments:

  1. It's funny how things just sort of work out isn't it? Glad you had fun shopping!! And men I think only imagine how cute the baby bump likes at like say 5-6 months, they dont even realize! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Welcome to Brazilian ex-pat blogging! (well almost ex-pat.) I had to field all sorts of reactions when we decided (actually decided all on our little onesies, weren't transferred or anything) to move to Brazil. From my grandfather who kept recounting that same crazy story about tourists in Rio waking up in a dirty hotel without their kidneys to really random comments like - why would you choose to move to a fascist country? Hugh?
    I have been super impressed with the medical care here. I have a much much better relationship with my doctors here than I ever had in the states. Bedside manners are better and (gasp!) they actually remember who you are! Private hospitals are just as good as anything you'll find in the US. And it is such a wonderfully family friendly culture that it will be a breeze to have a baby here. There are baby changing stations and private nursing stations in everythign from fancy shopping malls to the train stations. Restaurants frequently have their own special play section with paid nannies, so you can actually go out and enjoy dinner and have your kids in with you and cared for. I bet you guys are going to have a great time.
    Good luck getting ready for your move! And "congratulations(?)" on your lay off. Ugh! At least it happened in the right way for somebody!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete