Monday, February 16, 2009

It's about time!

Well, after about a year of reading a dozen or so blogs about Brazil, I now have one of my very own! I knew that if we really did end up being transferred to Brazil, I would start a blog to not only document what's undoubtedly about to be one of the best (and craziest!) experiences of my life, but also to help others that are in the same boat. In fact, without doing all of this research over the past year, I seriously doubt I would be as excited as I am now about going.

When this opportunity first presented itself about 2 years ago, my first reaction was, "absolutely not." I was raised in the same house in a suburban, midwestern town, went to a Big 10 university, and only when I was 24 did I move to "the big city," telling my mom it was the only way she was going to have grandchildren someday!

It's funny because I have always loved to travel, but I just couldn't fathom picking up and moving to a new country, away from family and friends, and ultimately, having a baby there! And now, 2 years later (and expecting a baby!), I'm in a whole new place about going. Of course I'm sad about being away from my mom and family and friends, but it's "only" 2-3 years, we'll be back home a lot, and everyone is promising to visit (!), so it has an upside for everyone!

And though everyday isn't going to be a vacation (or a picnic, for that matter!), I know in the end, our much deliberated decision is going be a good thing for our family.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome! Can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to read about your adventures in Brazil! I am preparing to move there as well, but to that state of Minas Gerais with my husband who is Brazilian, but because of his lack of papers here in the States! I am nervous, but excited all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to expat blogging. I don´t have one of my own, but love reading everyone else´s, it reminds me of how it was when I was first here (have been here continuously for 7 years now). I am also an American (in BH) and have done the baby (mine is 2 now). Look forward to reading about your experiences!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blogging world. I too am living in Brazil,Rio area though. I started my blog last month (been here almost a year)and I have met some real amazing people, because of it. Enjoy! I will be back to read more = D

    ReplyDelete