Monday, March 16, 2009

Still homeless

Well, I guess I shouldn't really be surprised that we haven't found a house yet, considering that we looked at over 80 properties before we bought our condo...and still had buyer's remorse for about a year after that! It's not that we didn't see a lot, but out of 24+ properties in 2 days, we only have 2 contenders and neither Bond or I are really excited about either of them. Several of the houses just wouldn't work at first glance due to glaring security issues (windows that don't lock, for example) and others were really old and out-dated. 

So, we're hoping that we find something this week that can be negotiated into our price range, has A/C in at least 2 rooms, a security alarm, that it can pass Bond's company's security test and will be available in May! What? Too much to ask for?! ;) A girl can dream, right?

Honestly though, I'm a little worried about what happens if we don't find something now! I have already extended my stay until next Sunday to give us more time, so I hope that helps, but we need to buy appliances (most places might have a stove, but nothing else!) before the movers come to pack up our house in about 5 weeks, not to mention I (read my mom and I) need to make curtains, as all of these things are very expensive here! Actually, after finding Bond's razors at a drugstore this weekend at US$50 for 4 razors, we've decided most everything is more expensive here, despite the exchange rate, except for produce (dirt cheap and oh, so good!), Starbucks coffee (US$3 for a latte!), manicures (US$7) and massages (US$35 for an hour!)

I know that everything will work out though, as it always does, but I just hope it happens sooner than later! Wish us luck!


2 comments:

  1. Good luck on house hunting - I was so ecstatic when we finally found our place here! And then frustrated all over again when it took over a month to get the keys handed over to us (since we were already here and living in a hotel at the time!)

    And you'll find that you bring A LOT of stuff with you when you move. Spices, deodorant, shaving gel, q-tips, baby stuff, batteries, anything that runs on electricity . . . we still have an ongoing list of requests anytime someone comes to visit us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We are trying to stay positive! :) A whole month in a hotel? I remember now reading about that...no fun!

    I have heard to bring all of that and then some, but I didn't think about the batteries, duh! We think we'll probably earn at least one free miles ticket down here with everything we will be buying in the next month...and that's before we find out if we're having a menina or menino! Lord help us if it's a girl...we'll end up in the poor house for sure with all of the cute clothes I already want to buy!

    ReplyDelete