Tuesday, May 19, 2009

100% Expats

Now that the remaining 66.33% of our family is together again, we are officially expats! The bebe and I arrived last Wednesday morning and I thought I'd be twiddling my thumbs this week, but that has not been the case! When I got here, Bond and I met with his company's lawyer at the Policia Federal to register as estrangeiros and then onto the bank to apply for a CPF number for me. The lines at both places were LONG, but not for us! Our little bump is like one of those "line jumper" passes you can get at an amusement park down here! By law, anyone who is pregnant, breastfeeding, elderly or handicapped doesn't have to wait in line! It's amazing and we are definitely are obeying the law down here! :)

We headed to the mall that night to attempt to get a cell phone for me, but without the actual CPF card...no dice. We were starving and begrudgingly went to Applebee's! There are so many great restaurants here, so to go there for my first night here was a bit anticlimactic, but it was kind of nice to have some comfort food! The next morning we had to go to "another place to wait" as Bond calls it, but really it was another government building to deal with the CPF, and of course, no wait for us! We sorted out language lesssons for me and I started yesterday for 2 hours a day, 3 times a week.

On Friday, we had our first consult with an OBGYN that was recommended to us. Bond and I both knew that it wasn't going to work out in about 5 minutes when, after greeting us in English, I started explaining why we were there and when I asked her a question...she looked at us like a deer in headlights! No English...so Bond spoke to her in Portuguese and we attempted to get out of there as soon as possible. Why she was referred to us, by a Portuguese teacher that speaks perfect English, no less, I will never know, but...have no fear! We found our new OBGYN the next day...on a Saturday morning!

That night, we went out with Bond's colleague and his wife for dinner and to see "Angels & Demons" (in English, with Portuguese subtitles), so it was nice to catch up with them and have a real date night! It had been ages!

On Saturday morning, we met with our new OBGYN and she is wonderful and put us at ease right away...and not just because she speaks English! She was very warm and understanding and after chatting for a few minutes, she wanted to examine me and I started to protest, thinking we were there for just a consult and I didn't want to waste her time, but she assured me she would answer all of our questions...and really, I wasn't going to pass an offer to hear our baby's heartbeat again (!), so up on the table I jumped...after getting on the scale (up 6 pounds, but I can't wait to get our scale in our sea shipment to have a better sense of accuracy!) and she measured me and then a full minute or so of that lovely heartbeat at 144 bpm! Afterwards, she did indeed answer all of our questions and gave us our "pre-natal card" that will record all of the baby's and my measurements. Nothing was entered into a computer, soI was told to keep this with me and bring it back for every visit. She also went over a list of information for us and Bond and I laughed to see that the first thing on the list was recommendations for stretch mark cream! She also directed me to another MD for an ultrasound. Not a tech, but an actual MD that only does OB ultrasounds! We were quite surprised, but then after leaving an HOUR and A HALF later and only paying US$100, we figured this type of healthcare was something we could definitely get used to! 



On Saturday, the American School here had their International Day and I signed Bond and I up for the American Booth to flip burgers and hot dogs and take orders! Apparently, International Day happens all across SP or Brasil (not sure) and features food and entertainment by the students from all over the world. I quickly learned how to ask if our customers wanted "tomato, onion, and lettuce" on their burgers and I'm proud to say, I don't think I messed up any orders...but everyone is too polite to complain, so I guess I'll never know, but we had a lot of fun. It was also really neat to see the students perform capoiera, dance to all types of music and hear several "garage bands!" It was really cute and we were very impressed with the school and kind of sad our kids won't have the opportunity to go there. 

We also saw some "old friends" and met some new ones, so it was a great way to spend a lovely Fall day...at 75 degrees! We were supposed to go to a "clean out our pantry" party at a couple's home we met that afternoon, but by the time we ran errands and Bond got a haircut, we both laid down and fell asleep...so, I had to call and cancel, which I hated doing, but after being "on" all day meeting new people, trying to speak Portuguese, Spanish and French (!), oh, and being pregnant and on my feet all day ;), I'm glad we stayed in and ordered pizza from our favorite (so far!) local pizza place and watched a movie on TV and called it a night!

On Sunday, we went to a nearby town that is a Dutch settlement called Holumbra. They had sponsored the Holland booth the day before at the American School and Bond was ecstatic that they had "appel flappen," so it was fun to drive out there for some "pretty close to the real thing" Dutch food! They also have several tulip farms there that are sent all over the world, so it will be fun to go back with Bond's family at some point. I'm sure they'll get a kick out of it, too!

(Man...are you still with me?! Almost done!)

Yesterday, we had our house inspection and got to meet one of the owners to get all of our questions answered, so that was a big relief. Hopefully, we can sign the contract by next week and have our air shipment sent and start to move in and begin our month long "camp-out" until our sea shipment arrives! It should be at the port in Santos on June 1st and then we've heard it takes 2-3 weeks for it to clear customs and get here, so we'll see...! That afternoon I had my first language lesson and it went really well! I am being taught by the mom and daughter that own the school and they are both just wonderful. I know the alphabet know and did you know that the Brasilians just added back in "k" and "w" this past year?! Apparently, they are not widely used so they disappeared, but now they are back! So funny! I can pronounce all the vowel sounds (Some better than others! Those accents can be tricky on the e's and o's!) and learned basic introductions, so all in all, off to a great start! 

We are adjusting okay, I think, and each day feeling more at home here...even in a hotel! We have much to be thankful for and though we have tickets booked already for 2 weeks home in July, we have much to look forward to here, as well! 

All for now...and hopefully not so "dear diary" next time! ;)

1 comment:

  1. WOW! That was a lot! Glad things are going so well and you are getting things done!! You'll have to let us know how everything in the sea shipment went! We just sent ours off and I am worried if everything will make it okay!!

    ReplyDelete